- Programme Overview
The purpose of the MTh programme is to train men and women for teaching in theological institutions and for leadership in various church related ministries. The programme is designed to enable qualified graduates in theology to broaden and deepen their knowledge and sharpen their research skills and competencies beyond BD/MDiv level. This goal is achieved by taking core modules within a chosen department and further modules in their area of specialization, and by doing a thesis at an advanced level in that same area of specialization. Thus, a student who completes MTh with a first class or high second class will be well prepared to enter a doctoral programme.
The SAIACS MTh programme offers eight specializations accredited by the Asia Theological Association: Biblical Studies, Old Testament, New Testament, Intercultural Studies, Pastoral Theology and Counselling, Theology and Ethics, History of Christianity, and Study of Religions.
- Entry Requirements
- Applicants need to have an MDiv with a minimum B+ grade average, from a college accredited by the Asia Theological Association.
- Applicants who have B grade average, from an ATA college, should write the Qualifying Examinations conducted by SAIACS. These are conducted at the time of the Entrance Examinations at SAIACS. There will three examinations to take: Bible, Theology and Christian Ministry. The applicants must pass the Qualifying Examination with a B+ grade average in order to write the Entrance Examinations.
- Applicants with a minimum B- grade average from an ATA college, and applicants with a minimum B grade average from a non-ATA college will be required to take a pre-MTh year in addition to passing the Qualifying Examination with a B+ grade average. They are required to gain a B+ grade average in the Pre-MTh year in order to qualify for entry into the MTh programme. At SAIACS, they will join Year 2 of the Integrated MTh. (See below, Pre-MTh Programme.)
- Two years full-time supervised Christian ministry experience is required, after the previous theological qualification.
- Applicants specializing in Old Testament and New Testament must have done at least two exegetical courses in Hebrew and Greek respectively. For Religions, the applicant must have done the equivalent of two exegetical courses in Urdu/Sanskrit/Arabic. Applicants for these three departments must demonstrate competence in the applicable language in the Entrance Examinations. Applicants lacking these skills may be offered the option of doing Pre-MTh in the relevant field (see section following).
- Period of Study
MTh is a two-year full-time residential programme. MTh in the PTC department includes a period of internship. This will entail additional fees and travel costs.
As shown below, the programme is worth 66 credits.
Year 1 9 modules (3 credits each)
Spiritual Formation – 3 (3 credits)
Thesis Proposal Defence, Correction, and Submission
Year 2 4 modules (3 credits each)
Spiritual Formation – 4 (3 credits)
Thesis Defence, Correction and Submission
- Completion Requirements
- The two years of MTh offer core modules within the department of choice, specialized modules towards MTh in the chosen specialization within the department, and inter-departmental modules.
- Entry into Year 2 is conditional on earning 33 credits, including the successful completion and defence of the thesis proposal with a minimum B- grade average. The thesis proposal will be made during Year 1, in the area of the chosen specialization.
- Failure to successfully defend the thesis proposal with a minimum B- grade average will result in graduating with a one-year MCS (Master of Christian Studies) in the chosen specialization.
- The MTh thesis must be about 35,000 words in length.
- The Pre-MTh Programme
The Pre-MTh programme qualifies students for the MTh programmes by up-skilling prospective students from colleges accredited by the Asia Theological Association and other recognized colleges.
- It is especially helpful for those seeking admission into departments that require classical language competency.
- This programme is of one-year duration and is delivered as Year 2 of the Integrated MTh. Pre-MTh does not lead to a degree nor can credits be forwarded to the MTh.
- Applicants applying for Pre-MTh must hold an MDiv degree, with a minimum B- grade average, from a college accredited by the Asia Theological Association. (See Entry Requirements of MTh.)
- Applicants from a non-ATA college must have a minimum B grade average in their BD or MDiv and need to appear for the Qualifying examination conducted by SAIACS. The credits, credit hours and courses of BD/ MDiv applicants from non-ATA colleges will be reviewed.
- To enter MTh, Pre-MTh students need a second class (minimum B+ grade average).