This is a unique four-year programme to train men and women for teaching in theological institutions and for leadership in various church-related ministries. The programme is designed to enable qualified graduates from either secular or theological Bachelor’s programmes to earn an MTh in a specialization of their choice in a shorter period. The Integrated MTh includes a year of foundational courses followed by three years of specialization, including a thesis. Thus, a student who completes Integrated MTh with a first class or high second class will be particularly well prepared to enter a doctoral programme.
The Integrated MTh programme is delivered through four departments: Biblical Studies; Theology; Practical Theology; Intercultural and Religious Studies. These departments will offer specializations as follows, though not all specializations listed below may be on offer in a given year.
Department MTh Specializations Biblical Studies Old Testament
Theology Theology and Ethics
Practical Theology Pastoral Theology and Counselling Intercultural and Religious Studies Missiology
Study of Religions (Hinduism OR Islam)
- Applicants need to have a Bachelor’s degree or BTh from a college accredited by the Asia Theological Association, with a minimum B+ grade average or equivalent.
- Applicants who have B and B- grade average from an ATA college, should write the Qualifying Examinations conducted by SAIACS. These are conducted at the time of the Entrance Examinations at SAIACS. There will be three examinations to take: Bible, Theology and Christian Ministry. The applicants must pass the Qualifying Examination with a B+ grade average in order to write the Entrance Examinations.
- Applicants can be provisionally admitted into the Integrated MTh programme with the same qualifications as for the MA programme, i.e., with a minimum B- grade average from an ATA college, and a minimum B grade average from a non-ATA college. These applicants will have to write the Qualifying Examinations conducted by SAIACS (see above). These are conducted prior to the Entrance Examinations.
- At the end of the first two years, the student’s performance is assessed. If the student has earned a B+ grade average at the end of the first two years, they will be confirmed into the Integrated MTh programme and carry on into the second half of the programme. If not, they will graduate with a two-year MA (specialized in the department of choice).
- The credits, credit hours and courses of BTh applicants from non-ATA colleges will be reviewed.
- One year full-time supervised ministry experience after the previous qualification is required.
- If candidates do not have the required ministry experience above, they may take a one-year break during the programme after Year 2.
- Period of Study
The Integrated MTh is a four-year full time residential programme. MTh in the Practical Theology department includes a period of internship. This will entail additional fees and travel costs. Similarly, any field trips undertaken by any department will entail additional costs.
- Completion Requirements
- Yr 1 offers foundational modules from across the departments.
- Yr 2 offers modules by the department of choice, namely, Biblical Studies, Practical Theology, Theology and, Intercultural and Religious Studies.
- Yrs 3 and 4 offer core modules within the department of choice, specialized modules towards MTh in the chosen specialization within the department, and inter-departmental modules.
- Entry into Yr 4 is conditional on earning 126 credits, including the successful completion and defence of the thesis proposal with a minimum B- grade average. The thesis proposal will be made during Yr 3, in the area of the chosen specialization.
- Failure to successfully defend the thesis proposal with a minimum B- grade average will result in graduating with MDiv in the chosen department.
- The MTh thesis must be about 35,000 words in length.
- As shown in the table, the programme is worth 162 credits.
Year Components Credits Year 1 9 modules (4 cr each) 36 42 Spiritual Formation (2 cr) 02 CBL 1 04 Year 2 9 modules (4 cr each) 36 44 CBL 2 04 Internship 1 04 Year 3 9 modules (4 cr each) 36 44 Weekend Ministry 04 Internship 2 04 Year 4 4 modules (4 cr each) 16 36 Thesis 20 TOTAL CREDITS 166