The MA (BS) is a completely online programme. During MA 1 the student systematically studies the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. Over MA 2, the student learns exposition of sample biblical books, Christian doctrines, contemporary dangerous doctrines, and the application of the Bible to contemporary issues. The programme is meant for anyone whose workplace is in the corporate world, church, or in any other profession, calling, or industry. The programme is designed to enhance the students’ church involvement, and sharpens their preaching and teaching, and increases their confidence in answering questions about the Bible. Thus, the student could be any Christian wishing to increase their understanding of the Bible, a pastor or an assistant pastor, a youth leader or a home group Bible study coordinator, or a Sunday school teacher.
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree with at least an aggregate pass.
- The Bachelor’s degree could be either theological (BTh, BD) or in any secular stream (e.g., BSc, BTech, BCA, BBM).
- Applications are invited all year round. The first 3 modules are probationary and enable students to familiarize themselves with the online delivery. After students complete two modules, they may apply to be enrolled in the MA (BS) programme. During the course of the third module, they will be required to take an online Entrance Examination and arrange for a Spiritual Director who will supervise their Context-Based Learning.
- Non-graduates may complete the modules as part of the Bible for All (BFA) programme. If at a later date they obtain a university or seminary degree, they may apply to receive the MA (BS).
- MA (BS) will be an ATA-accredited programme.
- Period of Study
The MA (BS) takes four calendar years to complete. Students who opt to take only MA (BS) Part One, which takes two calendar years to complete, may graduate with a Postgraduate Diploma in Biblical Studies. The period of registration for MA (BS) is six years, and for PG Diploma (BS) is four years.
- Completion Requirements
The course comprises 18 modules, with each module running for 8 weeks.
MA (BS) Part One
(offered over two years; equivalent to year 1 of an MA)
Modules Credits Module Title Module 1 4 Research and Writing Skills; Interpreting the Bible Module 2 4 Old Testament Narratives: Genesis to Esther Module 3 4 Prophets: Isaiah to Malachi Module 4 4 Poetry: Psalms, Song of Songs, Lamentations Module 5 4 Gospels: Matthew to John Module 6 4 Acts and Major Pauline Epistles: Acts; 1&2 Corinthians; Romans; Galatians; Ephesians; Philippians; Colossians; 1&2 Thessalonians. Module 7 4 Pastoral and General Epistles: Timothy; Titus; Hebrew; Peter; John; James; Jude Module 8 4 Wisdom: Job; Proverbs; Ecclesiastes Module 9 4 Torah and Apocalytic Literature: Leviticus; Numbers; Deuteronomy; Daniel, and Revelation Spiritual Formation and Context-Based Learning 2 This is taken from module 4 onwards and requires 3 hours per week of supervised ministry engagement MA (BS) Part Two 36 9 modules Total 74
MA (BS) Part Two
(offered over two years; equivalent to the second year of an MA)
Note: This is under development and is tentatively set to include the following: detailed exposition of four sample books (2 OT and 2 NT); Christian doctrines; the Bible and contemporary dangerous doctrines; the Bible and contemporary issues; apologetics.
The following is the breakup of the hours required for completion of a typical MA (BS) module:
Learning Mode Hours Per Week in a Module Total Hours Per Module (8 weeks, total 4 credits) Video/Audio Lessons 30 minutes 4 Reading Material (650 pages) 5 hours 25 minutes 42 Online Discussion Forum (300-word replies) 2 hours 15 minutes 14 Assignments (1,000 words per unit of two weeks) 2 hours 30 minutes 20 Work-Embedded Activity/ CBL 3 hours 15 minutes 25 Total 13 hours 40 minutes 105 hours